Harmony Freewill Baptist Church is a Bible-believing,
God-fearing church that was established in 1832. Harmony FWBC is a traditional church that is Christ centered and God focused. We strive to be the best church we can be by preaching the Word of God the way it says, loving one another as brothers and sisters in Christ, and promoting the Kingdom of God to the next generation by investing in the future with our Sunday School, Children's Church, and youth group programs. Come out and join us, to experience the love, joy, and peace that comes from serving and worshipping our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!
Who We Are
We are a Free Will Baptist Church that is associated on a local level with the South Central Illinois Quarterly Meeting, on the state level with the Illinois State Association of Free Will Baptists, and at the national level with the National Association of Free Will Baptists. We preach the Gospel to win souls to the Kingdom of God.
The first church building was built in 1832 on a plot of ground given by John Hudgens, John Hampton, Jackie Jones, and a fourth unknown man. Each man donated a quarter acre of their farm land. The first building was a log cabin built completely in Franklin County and was situated 200 feet northeast of the present building. Membership increased and a larger place of worship was needed. The log cabin was taken down and a new building erected. The building faced north and south with the front half in Williamson County and the rostrum and choir in Franklin County.
In 1937, this building was set on fire by a pickup truck owned by Dallas Wynn, and along with all the original records, was completely destroyed. The congregation was without a place to hold services for six months. During this time, services were held in member homes and in Possom Trot School. Another building was purchased and taken down in sections and hauled to the present location.
A few years later a basement was dug by hand and the use of slips pulled by a tractor. The men of the church laid the blocks and the women furnished the meals and assisted with some labor. As time went on the Church continued to grow and more rooms were needed.
In 1957, a new auditorium was built on the west side of the church, with the county line running down the center of the church. Partitions were installed in the old building and classrooms were formed. The basement was used as a fellowship hall and later converted into three classrooms. Again, the work on the addition was done by members of the church. Bro. Cecil Walker was pastor of the Church at this time.
In November of 1988, a new fellowship hall that was started under Pastor Bob Stone was completed under Pastor Kenneth Edwards. The new addition not only provided for a new fellowship hall it also added more classrooms. This addition was completed along the north side of the church with a foyer along the front as the building stands currently today.
With research recently done we have a list of some of the former pastors (not all the years they were pastor can be provided at this time): T.O. McMinn – 1879-1884, John S. Gullege – 1885, R.T. Hamilton – 1886-1891, T. Jones – 1892, James A. Jones – 1892-1902, T.O. McMinn – 1902, W.T. Smart – 1903-1908, R.E. Copher – 1909, Virgie Pittman – 1909-1919, Bro. Webb,
Henry Rogers, Marshall Jones, Billie Buster, Pat Larsey, Jasper Armstrong, China Chatman,
Bill Cagle, Harley Chaplain - 1942, Jake McAnelly – 1943-1944, Henry Jones – 1944-1945, Raymond Jones – 1947-1948, Raymond Boyd – 1948-1949, Bill Phemister – 1949-1950,
Jake McAnelly – 1950-1951, Clyde Jones – 1951-1952, Cecil Walker – 1953-1966,
Oran Kersh – 1967-1968, Everett Beaty – 1968-1970, Earl Sutton – 1970-1971,
Jack Ketteman – 1971-1972, Everett Beaty – 1972-1975, Jimmie Hicks – 1975-1981,
Joey Murphy – 1981-1983, Bob Stone – 1983-1986, Kenneth Edwards – 1986-1993,
Kent Dunford – 1993-1997, Kenneth Edwards – 1997-2004, Deon Walker – 2005-2010,
Curtis M. Smith – 2011-present.